The Garden of Guastalla was originally part of the College of Guastalla, built in 1555 by the Countess Paola Ludovica Torelli of Guastalla. The College educated middle-class girls who didn't have a much money. The garden is made in a typical style of the period.
In 1937 the city of Milan acquired the complex and the College moved to Monza, Italy. They replaced some of the walls with fences to make it more open. They also planted roses and other bushes around the pond. Plus, they connected the gardens to Sormani park, which was nearby.
The fish pond was made in a 17th century Baroque style, consisting of two terraces connected by stairs and railings around it with white granite banisters. There's an alcove, built in the 17th century, containing statues in polychrome terracotta depicting the penitent Magdalene being comforted by angels. There's also a neoclassical temple of Louis Cagnola.